What is S355JR? S355 grade is a non-alloy structural steel defined in EN 10025 standard. As the name implies it is extensively utilized in the structural engineering. It is an important material supply for construction industries. S355 grade gives robust yield and tensile strength and is offered with numerous treatments and test alternative to ascertain that it is an extremely applied steel in different projects.
“S” in the letters of S355JR material grade represents the steel as structural steel, letters in numerals i.e. “355” represents yield strength i.e. 355 N/mm² minimally, the “JR” addition ensures that the steel has been subjected to testing at 27 Joules with longitudinal Chary V-Notch impact testing at standard room temperature. Different designations of Charpy tests include J2, J0, and K2.
What is EN 10025? EN 10025 is the European standard for Hot rolled products of structural steels. Moreover it also specified technical delivery conditions for non-alloy structural steels. S355 grade is also defined in this standard.
Why S355JR called 1.0045 Stainless Steel? S355JR is the EN mechanical and chemical designation stated in the standard whereas 1.0045 is the numeric designation of the same grade.
Available Forms in Market: Following are the available forms of S355JR steels in the global market:
- Coils and sheets
- Cut to length sheet
- Pipes and tubes
- Heavy structures
Dimensional Characteristics of S355JR Steels: The stated thickness for this S355JR material as retrieved by online statistics in the market starts from 3.0 mm to 400.0 mm. However the coil mill edge width of this material varies from 1250 mm to 1500 mm. Sheets can be cut into different length. As it is provided in various other forms as well, dimensions should be verified from suppliers before purchase.
The Indicative Chemical Composition of S355JR Steels: The chemical composition of this grade is indicated as under:
- Maximum percentage of Carbon (C) is 0.27 percent.
- Maximum percentage of Manganese (Mn) is 1.7percent.
- Maximum percentage of Phosphorous (P) is 0.045 percent.
- Maximum percentage of Sulphur (S) is 0.045 percent.
- Maximum percentage of Nitrogen (N) is 0.014
- Maximum percentage of Silicon (Si) is 0.60 percent.
- Maximum percentage of Copper (Cu) is 0.06 percent.
Remaining is iron (Fe) percentage and with few negligible impurities.
Mechanical Properties of S355JR Steels: Following are some of the mechanical properties of 1.0045 steels:
- The tensile strength of the S355JR non-alloy steel is expressed in Newton per millimeters and it must be at-least 450 N/mm2 (MPa).
- The elongation property of S355JR steel varies with the heat treatment process and thickness but it is indicated typically 17% – 20%.
- The minimum impact energy longitudinally is 27 Joules
Read article on steel structures on construction buildings.
Equivalent Material Grades in Other International Standards: Read more about the
- Equivalent grade of this type in US is A572 grade 50
- In JIS designation, the corresponding material is referred as SM490A.
- In AFNOR French standard, the corresponding material is referred as E36-2 type steel.
- In Swedish SS standard, the corresponding material is referred as 2132-01 type steel.
Applications of S355JR Stainless Steels: Applications are as under
- Heavy lifting and excavation machinery cranes, dump trucks, excavators, trailers and bull dozers etc.
- Railroad cards, railway wagons and forestry machines
- Pipes, highway bridges, building structures
- Power equipment, offshore structures, shipbuilding,
- fan and pumps
- Pressure vessels
Read about construction industry trends changing in the US.
Suppliers of S355JR Steel: Suppliers are also listed below:
- Supplier John Tainton bearing contact number 01562 740477.The supplier address is Frederick Road, Hoo Farm Industrial Estate, Kidderminster, Worcestershire DY11 7RA
- Supplier British Steel Limited & Special Metals, Inc. bearing contact number +44 (0)1724 404040.The supplier address is PO Box 1, Brigg Road Scunthorpe, DN16 1BP