What are 1020 Mild Steel? AISI 1020 is a popular steel type which is preferred for its ease of machining. It has low carbon content and can be easily welded and has high strength and ductility. However it doesn’t respond to many hardening processes like induction hardening and flame hardening except carburizing so it is normally used for low stress parts. Its common uses include light duty gears, camshafts, cold headed bolts, and general engineering parts and machinery. It is normally produced through cold working and is polished and turned which is favorable for machining.
Dimensional Characteristics of 1020 Mild Steel: The applicable thickness in millimeters for this 1020 Mild Steel ranges from 0.02 to 41.275 whereas the width in millimeters is from 600 to 1200, also available in various slit forms of varying width as per customer demands.. Moreover outer diameter of pipe in millimeters ranges from 6 to 406.4.
Available Forms in Market: Following are the available forms of 1020 Mild Steel:
- Angles, Bar, Channels
- Plate, Rectagle tubes, Rolled Rings
- Square bar, Wire, Sheet
The Chemical Composition of 1020 Steel: Chemical alloying compositions are explicated below
- Maximum percentage of Carbon as defined in the standard is 0.23 whereas Minimum percentage of Carbon as defined in the standard is 0.17
- Maximum percentage of Manganese as defined in the standard is 0.6 and minimum is 0.3
- Maximum percentage of Phosphorus as defined in the standard is 0.04
- Maximum percentage of Sulphur as defined in the standard is 0.05
Key-Point: AISI 1020 is a very machining friendly steel due to its low carbon content. It can easily be welded and can be subjected to a variety of machining processes such as drilling, milling and turning. This makes it suitable for use in a wide variety of general engineering uses.
Mechanical Properties of 1020 Steel: Mechanical properties are as under
- Hardness in HB as specified in technical sources is around 119 to 235.
- Tensile strength is from 394.72 to unspecified MPa in some technical sources.
- Yield strength is from 294.72 to unspecified MPa in some technical sources.
- Elongation is 36.5% in 50mm.
Equivalent Materials of 1020 Mild Steel: The equivalent materials for 1020 Mild Steel specified in other recognized standards are listed as under
- In ASTM standard, the equivalent material is referred as A108, A29 type steel.
- In DIN standard, the equivalent material is referred as 1.0402 type steel.
- In UNS standard, the equivalent material is referred as G10200 type steel.
Industrial Applications of 1020 Mild Steel: These are used in variety of industrial applications including
- General Engineering components
- Cold headed bolts
- Gudgeon pins
Comparative Materials: Some nearly matching materials are discussed below:
- AISI 1018 Steel: This type of steel shares much of its properties with 1020 steel such as ease of machining, weldability and strength. It is the most common cold rolled steel available in the market
- AISI 1006 Mild Steel: This type of mild steels which have low hardness and are used in drawing. They are also very machinable and can be welded easily although its hardness is much lower than AISI 1020
Suppliers List for 1020 Steel Mild Steel : There are many suppliers for this type, some are listed below:
- Premium supplier name is AMS Resources, Contact information is (815)-788-9710 and postal address is 4517 Prime Parkway, McHenry, IL 60050. USA.
- Secondary supplier name is Summit Steel, Contact information is (440) 338-8777 and postal address is 16695 West Park Circle Drive Chagrin Falls, OH.