What is SECC Steels? SECC steel is electro galvanized commercial quality cold rolled steel which is basically cold rolled and then coated with zinc in an electro galvanizing line. SECC is a material grade and designation defined in JIS G 3313 standard. As a basic Zinc Coated Carbon Steel it can be enumerated in mild steel which is electro galvanized unlike the SGCC steel which is hot dip galvanized.
What is JIS G 3313? JIS G 3313 is a Japanese material standard for electro-galvanized steel.
What is Electro-Galvanized Commercial Cold Rolled? The based metal is actually made up of commercial quality cold rolled steel but the coating is made up of zinc through electrolytic process unlike the hot dip galvanized steels. Following forming operations can be performed on this type of steel:
However any specific forming operation should be properly investigated and testing should be performed before the execution.
Why SECC material is called electro-galvanized Steel? When a material grade is specified as electro galvanized steel, it simple refers it has been subjected to an electrolytic process by which galvanization is performed. Through this process a coating of zinc is applied on the surface of steel. Zinc protects the steel from rusting and other issues. Zinc coating increases the life of base steel. Since the coating is done through electrolysis therefore it is said as electro-galvanized steel.
Available Forms in Market: Following are the available forms of SECC steels in the global market:
- Galvanized Coils
- Slit Edge Galvanized Coils
- Cut to Length Galvanized Sheets
Dimensional Characteristics of SECC Steels: The applicable thickness for this SECC material as defined in the JIS 3313 starts from 0.40 mm to 3.0 mm or over. However the width of SECC material ranges 600 mm to 1500 mm. Slit widths of desired specifications are also available.
The Chemical Composition of SECC Steels: The chemical composition of base metal of SECC steels as under which is probably the same as of SPCC steel:
- Maximum percentage of Carbon(C) is 0.15
- Maximum percentage of Manganese(Mn) is 60 percent.
- Maximum percentage of Phosphorous(P) is 050 percent.
- Maximum percentage of Sulphur(S) is 050 percent.
Remaining is iron (Fe) percentage and with few negligible impurities.
Mechanical Properties of SECC Steels: Following are some of the mechanical properties of SECC steels:
- The tensile strength of the SECC Steels is expressed in Newton per millimeters and it must be at-least 270 N/mm2 (MPa).
- The elongation property of SECC steel varies with the ranges of thickness.
- The weld ability of these materials is conformed. Welding on these material is recommended in a proper ventilated space.
Equivalent Material Grades in Other International Standards: Read more about the international standard for electrolytic-galvanized commercial quality cold rolled materials in ISO 5002 is stated as CR1.
Equivalent grade of SECC steel in ASTM A591 / A591M is A591-CQ Carbon Cold rolled Steel Sheet.
Applications of SECC & Commercial Cold Rolled Steels: Applications are as under
- SECC Steels are primarily used in PC cases, motor cases, tanks etc.
- These are also used in different applications of electrical instrumentation.
- SECC coils are also consumed in painted products.
Suppliers of SECC Steel: Suppliers are also listed below:
- Supplier JFE Steel Corporation Beijing bearing contact number (86)10-6590-9051.The supplier address is 1009 Beijing Fortune Building No.5, Dongsanhuan North Road, Chaoyang District, Beijing, 100004, P.R.China
- Supplier Nippon Steel & Sumitomo Metal Corporation bearing contact number 81 – 3– 6867-4111 .The supplier address is 2-6-1 Marunouchi, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 100-8071 Japan.
SECC steels is manufactured from SPCC steels, after electrolytic process of galvanization. Thus parent material is SPCC steel for this type and grade of product.