What is S235JR? S235 grade is a non-alloy structural steel described in EN 10025 standard. As the name implies it is widely employed in the structural industry. It is a vital substance which is consumed in construction industries. S235 grade offers incredible yield and tensile strength and is given with several heat treatments. Different test methods are used to ensure that it is importantly used steel in different projects.
“S” in the letters of S235JR material grade represent structural designation, letters in material grade designation i.e. “235” represents yield strength i.e. 235 N/mm² minimally, the “JR” additionally confirms that the steel has been applied to testing at 27 Joules with longitudinal Chary V-Notch impact testing at standard room temperature. Different designations of Charpy tests include J2, J0, and J2.
What is meant by S235AR?It is also a structural grade with the equivalent minimum yield strength of 235 N/mm² as S235JR, but supplied in an ‘as rolled condition’.
What is meant by S235J0? It has higher Sulphur and phosphorous content. The “J0” additionally confirms that the steel has been applied to testing at 27 Joules with longitudinal Chary V-Notch impact testing at zero degree Celsius.
What is meant by S235J2? The “J2” additionally ensures that the steel has been tested at 27 Joules with longitudinal Chary V-Notch impact testing at-20 degree Celsius.
What is meant by S235J2G3? It is similar to S235J2 but is used as bars in forging applications.
What is EN 10025? S235 grade is also defined in this standard. EN 10025 is the European standard for Hot rolled products of structural steels. Additionally it also specifies technical delivery conditions for non-alloy structural steels.
Why S235JR called 1.0038 Stainless Steel? S235JR is the EN mechanical and chemical designation stated in the standard whereas 1.0038 is the numeric designation of the same grade.
Available Forms in Market: Following are the available forms of S235JR steels in the global market:
- Plate and sections
- Coils and sheets
- Hot finished tabular
- Cut to length sheet
- Cold form tabular
- Pipes and tubes
- Heavy structures
Dimensional Characteristics of S235JR Steels: Different manufacturers have different dimensional capabilities to provide the S235JR grade. The available thickness for this S235JR material as sought by online data in the market begins from 1.0 mm to 400.0 mm. However the coil mill edge width of this material ranges from 1250 mm to 1500 mm. Sheets can be cut into different length. Note: Since it is offered in different forms as well, dimensions should be confirmed from suppliers before ordering.
The Indicative Chemical Composition of S235JR Steels: The chemical composition of this grade is indicated as under:
- Maximum percentage of Carbon (C) is 0.22 percent.
- Maximum percentage of Manganese (Mn) is 1.6 percent.
- Maximum percentage of Phosphorous (P) is 0.05 percent.
- Maximum percentage of Sulphur (S) is 0.05 percent.
- Maximum percentage of Silicon (Si) is 0.05 percent.
Remaining is iron (Fe) percentage and with few negligible impurities.
Mechanical Properties of S235JR Steels: Following are some of the mechanical properties of 1.0038 steels:
- The tensile strength of the S235JR non-alloy steel is expressed in Newton per millimeters and it should be in the range of 360 to 510 N/mm2 (MPa).
- The elongation property of S235JR steel changes with the heat treatment process and varies with the thickness. It is referred normally between 10% – 25%.
- The minimum impact energy longitudinally is 27 Joules at -20 degree Celsius.
Equivalent Material Grades in Other International Standards: Read more about the
- Equivalent grade of this type in US is ASTM A283C steel.
- In JIS designation, the corresponding material is referred as SM400A.
- In AFNOR French standard, the corresponding material is referred as E24-2 type steel.
- In British BS standard, the corresponding material is referred as 40B type steel.
- In Swedish SS standard, the corresponding material is referred as 1311 type steel.
Applications of S235JR Stainless Steels: Applications are as under
- I beam for structures
- Small box lintel to carry structural load
- Pipes, highway bridges, building structures
- Road barriers
Suppliers of S235JR Steel: Suppliers are also listed below:
Masteel UK Limited bearing contact number +44 (0)1675 437 733.The supplier address is 6, Three Spires HouseStation Road, Lichfield WS13 6HX
Supplier British Steel Limited & Special Metals, Inc. bearing contact number +44 (0)1724 404040. The supplier address is PO Box 1, Brigg Road Scunthorpe, DN16 1BP