What is 1.3343? Grade 1.3343 is the HSS type steel. HSS refers to high speed steel grade. The grade is defined in the ISO 4957. The molybdenum offers 1.3343 enhanced properties than stainless steel such as UNS Grade S30400, especially more resistance to crevice corrosion and also pitting in chloride atmosphere. 1.3343 grade is a Tungsten Molybdenum type steel.
What is DIN EN ISO 4957? 1.3343 is also identified in the standard DIN EN ISO 4957. It is an international standard which specifies tool steels in wrought condition. The scope of the standard covers non-alloy cold-work tool steels, allow cold work tool steels, alloy hot work tool steels and high speed tool steel.
Why 1.3343 called AISI M2 Tool Steel? AISI M2 Tool steel is the American equivalent of grade 1.3343, this is the reason it is often termed or transitively used with AISI M2 Tool steel.
Available Forms in Market: Following are the available forms of 1.3343 steels in the global market:
- Flat bars
- Round bars
- Square bars
Dimensional Characteristics of 1.3343 Steels: The applicable thickness for this 1.3343 material as obtained by online statistics in the market starts from 2 mm to 200 mm defending upon processes. However the width of this material varies and it is available in 10 mm to 100 mm. As it is available in different forms, dimensional aspects should be confirmed from traders, manufacturers and dealers. Steel round bars are available from 2 to 200 mm diameter.
The Indicative Chemical Composition of 1.3343 Steels: The chemical composition of this grade is indicated as under:
- Maximum percentage of Carbon (C) is 0.94 percent.
- Maximum percentage of Vanadium (V) is 2.1 percent and minimum is 1.70 percent.
- Minimum percentage of Chromium (Cr) is 3.8 percent and maximum percentage of Chromium is 4.50 percent.
- Maximum percentage of Silicon (Si) is 0.45 percent.
- Maximum percentage of Molybdenum (Mo) is 5.2 percent and minimum is 4.7 percent.
- Minimum percentage of Tungsten (W) is 90 percent and maximum percentage of Tungsten (W) is 6.70 percent.
Remaining is iron (Fe) percentage and with few negligible impurities.
Mechanical Properties of 1.3343 Steels: Following are some of the mechanical properties of HSS M2 material:
- The yield strength of the subject steel is expressed in Newton per millimeters and it must be at-least 3250 N/mm2 (MPa).
- The elongation property of 1.3343 steel varies with the heat treatment process and thickness but it is indicated typically 40%.
- Izod impact un-notched is 67 Joules.
- The maximum Rockwell hardness is indicated around 62-65 on C scale.
- Elastic modulus is around 190 to 210 Giga Pascals.
Equivalent Material Grades in Other International Standards:
- Equivalent grade of this type in US is M2
- In JIS designation, the corresponding material is referred as SKH51alloy.
- HS6-5-2 is also a equivalent grade.
Applications of 1.3343 Steels: Applications are as under
- Making of General tools
- Making of hot formed tool bits
- Making of cold extrusion dies
- Making of twist drills
- Making of milling tools
- Making of metal saws
- Making of plastic molds
- Making of broaching tools and taps
- Making of extrusion rams and dies
- Making of circular saw segments
- Making of cutting precision tools
- Making of wear resistant screws, threaded tools etc.
Heat Treatment Processes: Different heat treatment processes are applied:
- For forged heating, it is preheated slowly, homogeneously to 900 degree Celsius, then heat rapidly to forging Temperature of 1000-1150 degree Celsius.
- Annealing is suitable after strain hardening or hot work process. Heat at the rate of 220 degree Celsius at one hour, progressing to 850 degree Celsius.
- Stress relieving is recommended after the tool is heavily machined or grounded. For stress relieving, the part is heated to the range of 675 to 725 degree Celsius.
- Hardening of parts are done in two steps. Firstly heating 400 to 500 degree Celsius, then to 850 to 900 degree Celsius. Final hardening temperature is 1200 to 1250 degree Celsius. Heating is done throughout at extended time. Then quenching is performed in salt or warm oil.
- Tempering is also performed in the case of quenching.
Note: Specifications stated above are just indicated values and does not detail the process. Check the manufacturer’s guidelines and technical standards for heating processes for pursuing the heat treatment process.
Suppliers of 1.3343 Steel: Suppliers are also listed below:
- Supplier West Yorkshire Steel Ltd bearing contact number 01937 584440.The supplier address is Sandbeck Industrial Estate, Wetherby, Leeds. LS22 7DN UK.
- Supplier Meusburger Georg GmbH & Co KG Inc. bearing contact number +43 5574 6706.The supplier address is Kesselstr. 42 6960 Wolfurt, Austria.