What is C45 Material? C45 grade steel is defined as a medium carbon steel offering tensile strengths in the modest range. The material can be maneuvered with hardening by means of quenching and tempering on focused and restricted areas. C45 can also be instigated with induction hardening up to the hardness level of HRC 55.
This grade is in majority situations delivered in an unattended heat treatment state i.e. normalized condition. However on demand it can be furnished in numerous heat treatment variations which is shown by additional letters in the name of grade. This can be furnished with minor changes in chemical composition.
Machinability of C45 is equivalent to that of mild steel for example CR1 grade, on the other hand weld ability is exhibited lower than that of mild steel.
What is BS EN ISO 683-1:2018? The standard ISO 683-1:2018 supersedes BS EN 10083-2:2006 which also specifies C45. It is a British standard adopted from ISO which specifies heat-treatable steels, alloy steels and free-cutting steels and Non-alloy steels for quenching and tempering. It is published in 2018. The standard supersedes BS EN 10083-2:2006 which also specifies C45.
Why C45 called 1.1191? European grade 1.1191 steel is a non-alloy carbon steel manufactured for objectively forming into wrought products. 1.1191 is the European numeric designation for this material C45.
Available Forms in Market: Following are the available forms of C45 steels in the global market:
- Hexagonal bars
- Round bars
- Square bars
Surface finish is furnished in turned, rough machined, and black chromed. This should be confirmed from suppliers.
Dimensional Characteristics of C45 Steels: The applicable thickness for this C45 material as obtained by online statistics in the market starts from 10 mm to 1500 mm defending upon processes. However the width of this material varies and it is available in 200 mm to 3000 mm. As it is available in different forms, dimensional aspects should be confirmed from suppliers, manufacturers and dealers. C45 round bars diameters starts from 8 to 300 millimeters.
The Indicative Chemical Composition of C45 Steels
The chemical composition of this grade is indicated as under:
- Maximum percentage of Carbon (C) is 0.50 percent.
- Maximum percentage of Manganese (Mn) is 0.9 percent and minimum is 0.5 percent.
- Maximum percentage of Phosphorous (P) is 0.03 percent
- Maximum percentage of Silicon (Si) is 0.04 percent.
- Maximum percentage of Sulphur (S) is 0.035 percent.
- Maximum percentage of Nickel (Ni) is 0.4 percent.
- Maximum percentage of Chromium (Cr) is 0.4 percent
Remaining is iron (Fe) percentage and with few negligible impurities.
Mechanical Properties of C45 Steels: Following are some of the mechanical properties of C45 material in quenched and tempered state:
- The proof stress of the subject steel is expressed in Newton per millimeters and it must be at-least 370-490 N/mm2 (MPa).
- The elongation property of C45 steel varies with the heat treatment process and thickness but it is indicated typically 14-17%.
- The tensile strength of the subject steel is expressed in Newton per millimeters and it must be at-least 700-800 N/mm2 (MPa).
Following are some of the mechanical properties of C45 material in normalized
- The proof stress of the subject steel is expressed in Newton per millimeters and it must be at-least 275-390 N/mm2 (MPa).
- The elongation property of C45 steel varies with the heat treatment process and thickness but it is indicated typically 14-16%.
- The tensile strength of the subject steel is expressed in Newton per millimeters and it must be at-least 305-620 N/mm2 (MPa).
Equivalent Material Grades in Other International Standards: Read more about the
- Equivalent grade of this type in US and Australian standards are 1045
- In JIS designation, the corresponding material is referred as S45C.
- In European numeric designation it is 1.1191 steel
Applications of C45 Stainless Steels: Applications are as discussed as under:
- Manufacturing material of shafts and Axles
- Manufacturing material of Knives and paint scrapers
- Manufacturing material of Studs and Spindles
- Parts used in Automotive industry
- Parts in different engineering applications
- Used in the manufacturing of different gears
Suppliers of C45 Steel: Suppliers are also listed below:
Supplier Sidastico Spa bearing contact number +39 0445/1920895. The supplier address is Via Astico, 44, 36030 Fara Vic.no (VI) – ITALY.
Supplier West Yorkshire Steel Ltd bearing contact number +01937584440. The supplier address is Sandbeck Industrial Estate, Wetherby, Leeds. LS22 7DN UK.