What is SAPH440 Steel?
SAPH440 steel is structural hot-rolled steel in the form of plates, sheets & strips for automobile structural applications. SAPH440 is a material grade and designation defined in JIS G 3113 standard. JIS G 3113 is a Japanese material standard for Hot-Rolled steel plates, sheets, strips for automobile structural usage. The structural quality hot rolled SAPH440 steel is more reliable in its tensile strength than SAPH400 steel. It can be used in automotive applications where more strength is needed & the material does not fail under exceeding loading.
What is JIS G 3113?
SAPH440 Full Form
Dimensional Characteristics of SAPH440 Steels
The applicable thickness for this SAPH440 material as defined in the JIS 3113 starts from 2 mm to 14 mm. However, the width of SAPH440 material ranges to 950 to 2000 mm.
The Chemical Composition of SAPH440 Steels
JIS G 3113 defines the chemical composition of SAPH440 steels as under:
- Carbon (C) is not identified in the standard.
- Manganese (Mn) is not identified in the standard.
- Maximum percentage of Phosphorous (P) is 0.040 percent.
- Maximum percentage of Sulphur (S) is 0.040 percent.
Remaining is iron (Fe) percentage and with few negligible impurities.
Mechanical Properties of SAPH440 Steels
- The tensile strength of the SAPH440 Steels is expressed in Newton per millimeters and it must be at least 440 N/mm2 (MPa).
- The yield strength is minimum 275 to minimum 305 N/mm2 (MPa) depending on the thickness.
- The elongation property of SAPH440 steel varies with the ranges of thickness. The minimum percentage ranges for elongation is 29 to 34 minimum. Only over 6.5 mm thickness requires 22 minimum percentage elongations. Higher thickness gauges usually show higher elongation than lower gauges.
Read more on a different Japanese material: JIS G4303 SUS304 Austenite Stainless Steel Grade
Some other hot rolled commercial quality materials are also used in industrial applications, SPHC steel comparison with this grade of SAPH440 material will show how structural automobile hot rolled steel is better with commercial quality SPHC steel in its strength and how it differs in chemical composition & mechanical properties.
Purchase this material
Do you want to buy Automotive steel?
We can help you with buying automobile hot roll steel. You can send your inquiry by using our GDPR Compliant Order Inquiry Form.
Sell Automotive steel
Do you want to become our premium supplier of automobile hot roll steel?
We can help you find customers looking for hot roll steel, you can provide us your quotations by using our GDPR compliant Online Quotation Form.
Note: Mechanical and chemical properties given in values are indicative and for information purpose only. Some of the given information can be outdated. There are also minor possibilities for inaccuracies in the text due to human error. For inaccuracies & outdated text you can Complaint Us.