What are 304 Stainless Steels? Grade 304 is the regular stainless grade it is the utmost flexible and extensively utilized stainless grade, obtainable in a broader choice of forms and surfaces textures than any other stainless steel type. It has brilliant qualities like formability and Weldability. The stable austenitic arrangement of AISI type 304 allows it to be ruthlessly deep drawn devoid of transitional annealing, which has fashioned this type 304 leading in the production of drawn corrosion resistant steel components such as kitchen basins, sinks and stainless pots. For such uses it is communal to apply exceptional deep drawing parameters on 304 grades. Type 304 can easily manipulated or formed into intricate parts for uses in the manufacturing, construction, and conveyance arenas. Type 304 also has brilliant welding qualities.
Dimensional Characteristics of 304 Stainless Steels: The applicable thickness in millimeters for this 304 Stainless Steels ranges from 0.25 to 6.25 whereas the width in millimeters is from 600 to 1200.
Available Forms in Market: Following are the available forms of 304 Stainless Steels:
- Sheared sheets
- Square, round, hexagonal and flat bars
The Chemical Composition of 304 Stainless Steels: Chemical alloying compositions are explicated below
- Maximum percentage of Carbon as defined in the standard is 0.07
- Maximum percentage of Manganese as defined in the standard is 2
- Maximum percentage of Phosphorus as defined in the standard is 0.045
- Maximum percentage of Sulphur as defined in the standard is 0.03
- Maximum percentage of Silicon as defined in the standard is 1
- Maximum percentage of Nickel as defined in the standard is 11
- Maximum percentage of Chromium as defined in the standard is 19 whereas Minimum percentage of Chromium as defined in the standard is 17
Crux: Type 304 stainless steel has a robust rust prevention & controlling mechanism. It will hold out corrosion from greatest oxidizing acids and is frequently employed for kitchen and food equipment manufacturing tenders. Though, it is vulnerable to corrosion from chloride surroundings (particularly saline atmospheres with extraordinary quantities of ‘NaCl’ sodium chloride). Chloride ions can make restricted zones of corrosion, known as “pitting,” which can blowout underneath defensive chromium fences to destroy interior structural material arrangements. Interactive liquids with a lowly NaCl can yield corrosion for example twenty five parts per million of sodium chloride can instigate a corrosive outbreak.
Mechanical Properties of 304 Stainless Steels: Mechanical properties are as under
- Maximum Hardness in HB as specified in technical sources is 201.
- Minimum Tensile strength is 515 Mpa in some technical sources.
- Yield strength is 205 Mpa in some technical sources.
- Elongation is 40% in 50mm in the standard.
Equivalent Materials of 304 Stainless Steels: The equivalent materials for 304 Stainless Steels specified in other recognized standards are listed as under:
- In JIS standard, the equivalent material is referred as SUS 304 type steel.
- In DIN standard, the equivalent material is referred as 1.4301 type steel.
- In UNS standard, the equivalent material is referred as S30400 type steel.
Industrial Applications of 304 Stainless Steels: These are used in variety of industrial applications including
- Cannula, clamps components and handles of surgical instruments
- Food Processing equipment
- Tanks carrying chemicals for transportation
- Springs and threaded fasteners
- Kitchen sinks and various kitchen utensils
Comparative Materials: Some nearly matching materials are discussed below:
- 303 stainless steels : Stainless steel 304 is comparable with 303 stainless steels; both have nearly same chemical alloying specs except the difference is in Carbon. AISI 304 steel has lower maximum Carbon content i.e. 0.07 % compare to 0.12% Carbon in 303 stainless steels. It makes 304 type less harder and more manipulative.
- 316 stainless steels : 316 stainless steel have nearly all chemical specs same as of 304 stainless steels except it had Molybdenum which makes it corrosion protective in saline environments. 316 stainless steel is the closest match to 304 grade.
Suppliers List for 304 Stainless Steels : There are many suppliers for this type, some are listed below:
- Premium supplier name is AK Steel Corporation, Contact information is 800-331-5050 and postal address is 9227 Centre Pointe Drive West Chester, OH 45069.
- Secondry supplier name is Precision Steel Warehouse, Inc, Contact information is 800-875-6723 and postal address is 3500 Wolf Road , Franklin Park, IL 60131.
Note: These values are indicative and for information purpose only. Some of the given information can be outdated. There are also minor possibilities for inaccuracies in the text due to human error. For inaccuracies & outdated text you can e-mail & inform the Content Manager at email@example.com