What is SUS 304 Steels? This grade of steel is Chromium-Nickel austenite stainless steels. SUS304 is a material grade and designation defined in JIS G4303 standard. As a chromium Chromium-Nickel carbon steel it can be enumerated in higher corrosion resistant austenitic stainless steel.
What is JIS G4303? It is a material standard made by Japanese Standards Association for Specification for hot worked Stainless Steel Bars with different shapes.
Why SUS304 called Alloy 304 Stainless Steel? When a material grade is specified as SUS grade steel, it means it is a Japanese standard designation. SUS 304 is also known as 304 steel in other international standards. It is defined in JIS G4303. Since the chemical composition and mechanical properties are same for both type grade i.e. Alloy 303 and SUS 304 grade. SUS 304 material is a high corrosion resistance stainless steel as compare to UNS S42000 Stainless Steel Martensitic Grades. It is not conductive on both electrical and thermal basis. As it is austenite therefore it is non-magnetic. This alloy is supposed to be a good resistor to drinkable or tap water with up to two hundred milligrams per liters of chlorides at ambient temperatures. However at sixty degree centigrade it can also be resistant to water containing one hundred and fifty milligrams per liters. UNS S17400 stainless steel has higher mechanical strength than SUS304 steel.
Available Forms in Market: Following are the available forms of SUS 304 steels in the global market:
- Square Bars
- Hexagonal Bars
- Flat bars
- Round bars
Dimensional Characteristics of SUS 304 Steels: Different suppliers supply with different specification ranges. However commonly the thickness for this SUS 304 material as obtained by data in the market which starts from 0..025 mm to 35 mm. However the width of this material ranges to 660 mm to 1219 mm.
The Chemical Composition of SUS 304 Steels: The chemical composition of this grade is as under:
- Maximum percentage of Carbon (C) is 0.08 percent.
- Maximum percentage of Manganese (Mn) is 2.0 percent.
- Maximum percentage of Phosphorous (P) is 0.045 percent.
- Maximum percentage of Sulphur (S) is 0.03 percent.
- Minimum percentage of Chromium is 18.0 percent and maximum is 20.0 percent.
- Maximum percentage of Silicon (Si) is 1.0 percent.
- Minimum percentage of Nickel is 8.0 percent and maximum is 10.5 percent.
Remaining is iron (Fe) percentage and with few negligible impurities.
Mechanical Properties of SUS 304 Steels: Following are some of the mechanical properties of 420 steels:
- The tensile strength of the 304 alloy steel is expressed in Newton per millimeters and it must be at-least 520 N/mm2 (MPa) and yield strength is 240 N/mm2 (MPa) .
- The elongation property of SUS 304 steel varies with the heat treatment process.
- The minimum hardness range for this type is 88 HB.
- SUS 304 because of its hardening properties is not mostly welded, although it is possible.
- Corrosion resistance is greater than the other known martensitic grades.
Equivalent Material Grades in Other International Standards: It is also known as A2 stainless steel or tool steel. Its commercial name it is also referred as 18/10 or 18/8 stainless steel. Some other equivalent grades are as under:
- Equivalent grade of this type in American Standard is AISI Type 304 steel.
- In DIN standard, the equivalent material is referred as 1.4301 type steel.
- In UNS standard, the equivalent material is referred as S30400 type steel.
Applications of SUS304 Stainless Steels: Applications are as under:
- Car Headers
- Food-Handling Equipment
- Architectural Field For Exterior Accents Such As Water And Fire Features
- Kitchen accessories
- Under Machinery Parts
- Rebuildable Vaporizers
- Surgical Instruments
Suppliers of SUS304 Steel: Suppliers are also listed below:
- Supplier AK Steel Corporation bearing contact number 800-331-5050.The supplier address is 9227 Centre Pointe Drive, West Chester, OH 45069
- Supplier JFE Steel Corporation Beijing bearing contact number (86)10-6590-9051.The supplier address is 1009 Beijing Fortune Building No.5, Dongsanhuan North Road, Chaoyang District, Beijing, 100004, P.R.China.