What is 1.0038? Numeric Grade designation 1.0038 is the number given to quality structural steel. It is a non-alloy steel in the European standard. The structural steel defined in the EN 10025 standard. The steel is used primarily for forming into different wrought products.
The subject steel is referred to have low tensile strength on the other hand having a high ductility. The mechanical properties; low tensile and high ductility is relative to other wrought material grades available in the market.
What is EN 10025? 1.0038 is identified in the standard EN 10025. It is a European material standard for “Hot rolled products of structural steels”. There are following different parts of this standard which are as followed:
EN 10025-1: It is referred as Part 1 of EN 10025 titled as “General technical delivery conditions”
EN 10025-2: It is referred as Part 2 of EN 10025 titled as “Technical delivery conditions for non-alloy structural steels”
EN 10025-3: It is referred as Part 3 of EN 10025 titled as “Technical delivery conditions for normalized/normalized rolled weldable fine grain structural steels”.
EN 10025-4: It is referred as Part 4 of EN 10025 titled as “Technical delivery conditions for thermomechanical rolled weldable fine grain structural steels”
EN 10025-5: It is referred as Part 5 of EN 10025 titled as “Technical delivery conditions for structural steels with improved atmospheric corrosion resistance”
EN 10025-6: It is referred as Part 6 of EN 10025 titled as “Technical delivery conditions for flat products of high yield strength structural steels in the quenched and tempered condition”.
Why 1.0038 called Grade S235JR Steel? 1.0038 is the EN numeric designation for this material. S235JR is the EN chemical designation. 1.0038 is the numeral identification of the material grade S235JR referred in the European standards. S325JR is also referred as chemical designation but 1.0038 is referred as numeric designation or simply as W. NR. 1.0038.
Available Forms in Market: Following are the available forms of 1.0038 steels in the global market:
- Plate steel
- Square-shape steel
- Round bar steel
- Steel round rods
- Forgings in shapes such as shafts with flanks, donuts, tubes and cubes etc.
- Sheet Coil
- Profile Strips
- Semi-circle steel profiles
Dimensional Characteristics of 1.0038 Steels: The applicable thickness for this 1.0038 material as obtained by online statistics in the market starts from 1.50 mm to 10 mm defending upon processes. However the width of this material varies and it is available in 900 mm to 1800 mm for hot rolled mill edge. For slit edges it is available in different smaller widths like 100 mm and as per customer requirements.
As it is available in different forms, dimensional aspects should be confirmed from traders, manufacturers and dealers. For example Steel profile form available in dimensions from Length 6.000 millimeters, width 16 to 60 millimeters, and height 8 to 30 millimeters. Example of tubing as per market stat is outer diameter ranges from 6 to 1800mm, with wall thickness from 1 to 35 millimeters.
The Indicative Chemical Composition of 1.0038 Steels:
The chemical composition of this grade is indicated as under:
- Maximum percentage of Carbon (C) is 0.20
- Maximum percentage of Manganese (Mn) is 1.4 percent.
- Maximum percentage of Phosphorous (P) is 0.04 percent.
- Maximum percentage of Sulphur (S) is 0.04 percent.
- Maximum percentage of Copper (Cu) is 0.55
- Maximum percentage of Nitrogen (N) is 0.012
Remaining is iron (Fe) percentage and with few negligible impurities.
Mechanical Properties of 1.0038 Steels: Following are some of the mechanical properties of S235JR steels:
- The tensile strength of the 1.0038 non-alloy steel is expressed in Newton per millimeters and ranges from 340 to 520 N/mm2 (MPa) depending on the thickness as well.
- The elongation property of 1.0038 steel varies with the heat treatment process and thickness but it is indicated typically 17 to 21%.
- 1.0038 can be welded by normal welding methods.
- Carbon equivalence value is maximum 0.38 allowed.
Learn how 42CrMo4 differs with 1.0038 steel.
Equivalent Material Grades in Other International Standards: Read more about the
- Equivalent grade of this type in ISO is Fe360B
- In JIS designation, the corresponding material is referred as SM400A.
- In Swedish SS standard, the corresponding material is referred as 1311 type steel.
- In American standard, the corresponding material is referred as A283C type steel.
Applications of 1.0038 Stainless Steels: Applications are as under
- Civil Engineering for example metal structures
- Construction of Tanks
- Laser Cutting
- Construction machineries
- Cold forming operations for example:
Suppliers of 1.0038 Steel: Suppliers are also listed below:
Supplier Basedo Steel bearing contact number +49 (0) 211 687802-0.The supplier address is Flinger Broich 203 40235 Düsseldorf.
Supplier Longhai Special Steel Co., Ltd. The supplier address is No. 119 Jiangdong Road, 3rd Floor Jiangyou City, Sichuan, China 621701