What are 1045 Mild Steel? AISI 1045 steel is a medium carbon steel which is recognized for its good tensile strength and hardness. It is also popular because of its ability to be machined easily. Machining processes like milling, turning, tapping and broaching can be performed without any problems. Another favorable feature of AISI 1045 is that it can be welded easily, making it a suitable steel for various structures. However a slight drawback is that unlike most medium carbon steels, AISI 1045 does not support through hardening except for thin sections of up to 60 millimeters. It is available as hot rolled or normalized steel.
Dimensional Characteristics of 1045 Mild Steel: The applicable thickness in inches for this 1045 Mild Steel ranges from 0.109 to 4 whereas the width in inches is to 14.625. In the case of rod the diameter in inches is from 0.125 to 24.
Available Forms in Market: Following are the available forms of 1045 Mild Steel:
- Flat Bars
- Round Bars
- Rectangular Bars
The Chemical Composition of 1045 Mild Steel: Chemical alloying compositions are explicated below
- Maximum percentage of Carbon as defined in the standard is 0.5 whereas Minimum percentage of Carbon as defined in the standard is 0.42
- Maximum percentage of Manganese as defined in the standard is 0.9
- Maximum percentage of Phosphorus as defined in the standard is 0.04
- Maximum percentage of Sulphur as defined in the standard is 0.05
Key-Point: AISI 1045 provides high tensile strength and hardness but is still very machine friendly. This makes it very useful in applications which require impact and wear resistance. It can be machined and welded in both the normalized or hot rolled states but not in through hardened state.
Mechanical Properties of 1045 Mild Steel: Mechanical properties are as under
- Hardness in HB as specified in technical sources is around 163.
- Tensile strength is from 565 Mpa in some technical sources.
- Yield strength is from 310 to unspecified Mpa in some technical sources.
- Elongation is 0.16 per 50mm in the standard.
Equivalent Materials of 1045 Mild Steel: The equivalent materials for 1045 Mild Steel specified in other recognized standards are listed as under
- In JIS standard, the equivalent material is referred as S45C, S48C type steel.
- In ASTM standard, the equivalent material is referred as A29, A266, A827, A236, A576, A682 type steel.
- In DIN standard, the equivalent material is referred as 1.1191 type steel.
Industrial Applications of 1045 Mild Steel: These are used in variety of industrial applications including
- Hydraulic Clamps
Comparative Materials: Some nearly matching materials are discussed below:
AISI 1020: AISI 1020 is a low carbon steel which shares features like easy machinability and high weldability with AISI 1045 steel. However it has lower carbon content which makes it less harder and it doesn’t support hardening processes either unlike AISI 1045.
AISI 1006: AISI 1006 are mild steels which have low hardness and are used in drawing. They are also very machinable and can be welded easily although its hardness is much lower than AISI 1045. Because this they can be used in very small thicknesses and are available in the form of coils as well.
Suppliers List for 1045 Mild Steel : There are many suppliers for this type, some are listed below:
- Premium supplier name is LEECO Steel, Contact information is 800-621-4366 and postal address is 1011 Warrenville Road Suite 500 Lisle, IL 60532.
- Secondary supplier name is Midwest Metal Warehouse, Contact information is 1-866-669-6444 and postal address is Midwest Metal Warehouse W147 N9415 Held Drive Menomonee Falls 53051.
- Tertiary supplier name is Ryerson , Contact information is 312-292-5000 and postal address is 227 West Monroe Street Chicago, IL 60606.